Across Scotland you will find buildings that bear the MacRobert family name.
The MacRobert Building at the University of Aberdeen was named in celebration of the MacRobert family’s long-standing relationship with the University of Aberdeen which began in 1906 when Sir Alexander MacRobert endowed the Georgina MacRobert Research Fellowship in Malignant Diseases in memory of his first wife.
Many other substantial donations to the University followed between 1959 and 2005.
The MacRobert Hall at Robert Gordon’s College, Aberdeen, which opened in 1931, celebrates Sir Alexander MacRobert’s reputation as an inveterate night school attendee in his younger days. His dedicated night school studying led to Sir Alexander holding a lectureship in experimental physics at Robert Gordon’s College and a lectureship in chemistry at the Aberdeen Mechanics Institute, the forerunner of Robert Gordon University.
The MacRobert Arts Centre at Stirling University, now completely refurbished and extended, and simply referred to as macrobert, carries the family name because of a substantial donation made by Trustees in 1966 towards the cost of building the original MacRobert Arts Centre.
Other buildings that have benefited from donations from The MacRobert Trust include:
The MacRobert Building, Aberdeen University
Opened in 1967, and formerly named the Agriculture Building, Aberdeen University’s MacRobert Building was renamed in April 1996 in recognition of the substantial financial donations awarded by The MacRobert Trust and its predecessor Trusts since 1906. These donations continue today.
The MacRobert Building is now the home of the University’s School of Education alongside some of the University’s other academic units and research teams.
The MacRobert Pavilion and MacRobert Theatre at the Royal Highland Show Ground at Ingliston
We are proud of our long association with farming and the Royal Highland Agricultural Society of Scotland (RHASS). In the 1960s, Trustees approved a large donation towards the building of the MacRobert Pavilion at the Royal Highland Show Ground at Ingliston. A further substantial donation paid from 2002 over three years was made towards the development costs of the MacRobert Theatre in the show ground.
Find out more at www.royalhighlandshow.org
Children’s Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS), Rachel House
CHAS provides specialist respite, terminal care and bereavement support for families with a child or young person who is not expected to live into adulthood.
In 1993, to mark The MacRobert Trust’s golden jubilee, the Trustees made a donation to CHAS of £2 million, which the charity used to establish the first children’s hospice in Scotland, located in Kinross. The house was named Rachel House in honour of Lady Rachel Workman MacRobert.
At any one time, Rachel House can provide accommodation and care for eight children or young people and their families.
Aberdeen University Library
Our Trustees agreed a substantial donation of £250,000 in March 2005, paid over three years, towards the cost of building the spectacular new Aberdeen University Library. Although this building will not carry the MacRobert name, the donation was crucial in leveraging a flood of donations. The £34 million pound funding target was soon reached and the building is now near completion. It is already a landmark that can be seen from most points in the city.
Find out more at www.abdn.ac.uk/newlibrary